Thursday, May 05, 2011

Moms and Friends Learn Lessons From the Sick Woman

No photos -I left my camera in my friend's home! And of all days! Mona brought the ingredients to make dokala, a Gujarati dish. She took two cups of channa flour (besin) and added salt (according to taste), 1/2 cup of suji, 2 tubs of dahi, 1/2 water, and one sachet of ENO (something like baking soda). She stirred it up and put it in a microwave safe bowl. We washed the curry leaves and pinched them into pieces. She heated 3 Tablespoons of mustard oil and added the curry leaves, two green chilies cut length-wise, 1 1/2 teaspoons of mustard seeds, and cooked until very fragrant. She poured this evenly over the batter, and put it in the microwave for 8 minutes. While it was baking, she squeezed one Indian size lemon (very small) and added 2 teaspoons of breakfast sugar (small crystals). After removing it from the microwave oven, she let it cool a few minutes before cutting pieces for us to try. She spooned some of the lemon syrup over the slice of dokala. This was my first try, and I ate it heartily. After they left, I ate the leftovers!
Our lesson was about the nameless sick woman of Mark 5:21-29. When I shared of the woman's ailment and how she had suffered for so many years, Timple burst into tears. As she couldn't speak, I just lay my hands on her and prayed over her in the name of Jesus. After all, this lesson is about Jesus' power to heal. When she could speak, she just said, "Mommy." Apparently, her mom had a bad fall, and has been in bad health since. Knowing how hard it is to be so far from a parent when they are ill or injured, I prayed again for her, as well as for her mom. I know I could not handle such situations without the presence of God in my life. Timple and Mona practice pujas (ritual Hindu prayers), but to what avail? I pray for the day they will come to know my Savior as their own, and know His healing power, as the sick woman did.

No comments:

Post a Comment