Sunday, April 22, 2012

How Shall They Hear?

"But how can they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how can they believe without hearing about Him ? And how can they hear without a preacher? (Romans 10:14) This verse came to mind as I realized that the young man who sat next to me in church this morning could not hear. He had come to the English service of the old Anglican church left from the days of the British. He had an English language Bible with some verses highlighted in yellow. Throughout the service, I tired to help him keep up with where we were in the order of service, and in the hymnal. Somehow, he had heard and had chosen to follow Christ. How can they hear...? Another verse came to me: " But be ye doers of the Word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves (James 1:22)." I know something about not understanding what people are saying. Though I am hearing, I could relate to this young man. I am so thankful that someone along the way communicated the gospel with him. Perhaps it was through their actions. People communicate with me all day long through their actions, and it isn't always positive. In my own country, Christians have gotten a bad rap because their actions often speak louder than their words. If I didn't think I could share the Good News through my life, I wouldn't be here. Many people hear the Word, but don't believe it. And often it is because of the one delivering the Word. Is there something in my behavior standing in the way of someone hearing, understanding and believing God's Word? Is my lifestyle sharing the gospel on a daily basis? 
All over the world there are non-hearing people, and there are those who are dedicated to making sure that those without hearing have a chance to "hear" the gospel. If that young man didn't see Jesus in me this morning, I am not being a doer of the Word. And what about the people on the bus? What about the hawkers who sell their wares on burlap sacks on Sundays? 
That young man was a reminder that people "hear" the gospel in different ways. We are called to share with people of all tribes -even the deaf tribe. How wonderful to hear them sing one day before the throne of Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment